Tips for Selecting the Right Painting Contractor
Selecting the right painting contractor to work with can be a challenging assignment. As consumers, we all want the best value in exchange for our hard-earned dollars. The problem is that the cheapest painting estimate that you obtain is not always the best value. Without additional information, consumers can be easily misled by price alone.
Quality vs. Time
The old adage that “time is money” holds true with painting. The bottom line of a painting estimate reflects the time required to complete the job. You could assume that a more expensive painting estimate would allow more time to complete the painting project. Conversely, a less expensive painting estimate would reflect a quicker completion date. Different painting companies however do not always have the same vision of what a professional paint job should be. Flowers Painting delivers high quality craftsmanship, and our painting estimates include thorough masking and covering, meticulous surface preparation, professional PPG Paint, and professional paint application. On the other hand, many local painting companies that specialize in delivering economy to their customers must use time saving methods. Paint prep is one component of painting where considerable time can be saved, as is the use of cheaper grade paints.
Before you interview various painting contractors, consider your expectations of budget and outcome. Once you make that determination, look for a company that best fits the bill. A very cheap painting estimate might not meet your expectations of quality. On the other hand, a painting proposal based upon very high-quality work may be a budget buster.
Finding the Right Painting Contractor
The best way to find a reputable painting contractor to work with is by checking reviews. This will determine if a company is trustworthy and warrants recommendations from others. A painting company you hire should certainly have an online presence that includes customer reviews. In terms of selecting a company to work with, a common practice is to obtain multiple (two or three) painting estimates. It’s a good idea to walk the job with each potential painting company and try to be as specific as possible about your painting project. Discuss your expectations and concerns as well as any aspects of your project that could affect the price. Always ask the following questions:
- What type of painting projects does your company usually perform – new homes under construction, residential homes, repaints, apartments, commercial spaces, etc.
- How long have you been in business?
- Does your company have the proper required licenses and bonding?
- Does your company have the proper workers compensation and liability insurance policies?
- What is your warranty policy?
- Do you offer a written guarantee of your work?
Ask the company to provide you with detailed painting estimates. Request information regarding the following:
- Exactly what is to be painted
- Extent of surface preparation
- Number of paint coats
- Types of paint and finishes
- Number of painters
- Time estimated to complete the project
Once you have decided on a painting company to work with, be sure they have a contract. Review the contract and confirm the following items, as outlined above:
- Specific details on what is to be painted
- Paint colors and type of paint for each area to be painted
- How much time to complete the project
- When and how the painting company will be paid
Try to find a painting company that is a good fit for you and your painting project. Call Flowers Painting today to schedule your FREE painting estimate (704) 445-7750. For tips on how to liven up any room with paint, click through to our blog on Accent Walls.